Wednesday, 9 April 2014
1. Boil peeled and chopped potato with turmeric.
2. Sautee onion in olive oil, add cumin seeds, turmeric and garlic. Add peppers.
3. Drain potatoes and add to softenned onions. Add stock and simmer for a while.
4. Tip into gratin dish and stir in chopped paneer and peas. Crack eggs on top.
5. Bake, covered with foil for about 15 minutes, until egg whites are set.
Delicious. Adapted from something I saw in the Observer.
Monday, 7 April 2014
1/2 red cabbage
6 eggs - separated and whipped
1. Saute onion, red cabbage and celery with fennel seeds in olive oil.
2. Add white wine and stock and simmer for 40+ minutes or so.
3. Chop potatoes into wedges and parboil.
4. Put roasting tin with a layer of olive oil into the oven.
5. Drain potatoes and toss (carefully) in hot oil. Sprinkle with caribean seasoning. Roast for about an hour.
5. Whip separated eggs.
6. Steam broccoli - whizz into small pieces.
7. Mix broccoli into whipped egg yolks, add a teaspoon of mustard and a handful of grated parmesan.
8. Fold into egg whites. (Fold in one spoonful of whites to yolks first to slacken slightly - then fold the rest in).
9. Butter souffle dish and coat with grated parmesan, fill with egg mix and sprinkle parmesan on the top.
10. Bake for about 35 minutes.
Scoff, receive considerable praise.
Thursday, 3 April 2014
These instructions are quite vague, because I got a new phone, and had to prioritise playing with it - so have forgotten exactly what I did... but you get the gist ;)
Turn the oven on, and then set to ... some is opening packets, but there is some chopping and stuff too - I started the dishes in the following order, to get them to get to the table at the same time
Tarka dahl - boil lentils until done - just before ready to serve - fry spices in oil, chuck into lentils - scoff
Okra curry - oiol, chopped onion, chopped veg, garlic, spice mix... fry - add frozen okra and some water - simmer - add tin of chopped tomatoes - simmer - scoff (keep warm in oven if done and waiting for other stuff)
Yogurt garlic sauce - natural yogurt, garlic, olive oil, lemon, seasoning ... stir - keep in fridge until ready to scoff
Samosas - open frozen packet - cook in oven for 12 minutes (splash of oil) - scoff
Onion bhajis - chopped onion, and I added some shredded cabbage, salt and pepper and chili flakes. Stir in gram flour, and at the minute a teaspoon of bicarb and some cold water - mix quickly and fry in hot oil. Drain and scoff ... with ... yogurt garlic sauce, sweet chili sauce and chutney.
Potato parathas - open frozen packet - follow instructions (dry fry on each side for 2 minutes) scoff
Popadoms - break up - spread on plate - microwave on full for 1 and a half minutes - scoff
Sweet chili sauce - take top off bottle - pour into small bowl - scoff ;)
Cooked risotto (this was mushroom)
Sweet chili sauce
Mold rice into patties around small chunks of cheese. Fry on olive oil. Serve with spinach leaves and sauce.
The other leftovers were tasty too - but not photogenic.
Monday, 24 March 2014
The dishes were - roast cauliflower with cumin, garlic mushrooms, leek and kale smoked cheese gratin(ish), groats and steamed purple sprouting broccoli.
It took about an hour, the cauliflower and mushrooms going in to start with. Then a 20 minute gap - then started the gratin - then in the last 15 minutes the broccoli steamed over the groats.
Roast cauliflower with cumin
It's a simple as that! Split the cauli into florets and put in roasting pan with olive oil, a sprinkle of cumin seeds and a pinch of salt - roast at about 180 for 45 mins to an hour... tossing occasionally to brown evenly(ish)
splash of white wine
In an oven dish, chuck in ingredients, toss about a bit, add a drop of water/wine if they look dry - stick in the oven with the cauliflower
Leek and kale smoked cheese gratin
Leek, chopped and washed
smoked cheese, grated or diced
1. Sautee leek in olive oil until soft.
2. Add garlic, splash of whie win and kale. Simmer as kale gets soft.
3. When veg are soft, slake cornflour in a little soya milk - add the slaked mixture and another cup of soya milk and keep stirring to make a sauce.
4. Add grated/chopped smoked cheese, mix until melted.
5. Put in oven dish and bake until everything is done.
Groats & purple sprouting broccoli
Steam the broccoli over the pan of boiling water - boil the groats.
Drain, serve, scoff.
Tuesday, 18 March 2014
I was still feeling grim at teatime so wanted something to basically cook itself... this did, once the veggies had been chopped and it was sitting in the oven waiting.
So, what I did was....
2 leeks, chopped and washed
Rape seed oil
caribbean spice mix
chopped green beans
tin of kidney beans
peeled and chopped butternut squash
tin of chopped tomatoes
Spoon of peanut butter
1. Sautee leeks off in oil.
2. Add herbs, spices and garlic - stir around.
3. Add in other veg, drained tin of beans and squash. Turn over in the oil. Add water and bring to simmer.
4. Add spoon of peanut butter and tomatoes, stir in, simmer and taste - adjust seasoning if necessary- I added chili (but i think that's because this cold is preventing me tasting things).
5. Add water and bung in the oven with the rice until ready to eat.
Dinner was great, and I thin the spice has helped a bit - but my ears still hurt... ho hum.
Monday, 17 March 2014
Mashed potatoes with onions fried in onion and steamed cabbage.
Mix together with lots of butter and seasonning. Scoff. Raise a glass to St Patrick.