Sunday, 19 April 2015
Made this last night, it was great.
Gluten free pasta
1. Sweat onions and garlic.
2. Chop broccoli stem and mushrooms into smallish pieces and seat them down too.
3. Cook pasta according to packet instructions.
4. Five minutes to go add broccoli spears and roqueforte.
Mix and scoff.
Friday, 20 March 2015
"Chips" ... boiled and roasted in olive oil. Boil - 5ish minutes - into hot fat, in hot oven, for about an hour.
The fish is Alaskan pollock in a batter made from 1 whisked egg, a splash of soya milk, a half cup of polenta and a fistful of chopped parsley, with salt and pepper and the grated zest of a lemon. The fish was coated in the batter, and then fried, a couple of minutes on each side just before serving everything else. Drain on kitchen paper.
The vegetables - leeks, softenned in olice oil, then added crushed garlic, some mushrooms and a knob of butter. Sautee gently, then season and add a splosh of white wine. Simmer briefly, transfer to oven dish - tip on handful of frozen peas, and some baby spinach. Cover with foil and stick in the bottom of the oven.
Fnatastic batter, really fresh tasting. And the veg ... oooo ... lovely, buttery and garlicky and fresh.
Sunday, 22 February 2015
I am not practised in chinese cooking, but I do give it a go now and again. I was proud of tonight's dishes. The spring rolls were from a chinese supermarket - they should be fried (deep fried or shallow fried is less important) and not baked for good tasty crispiness.
Dip in sweet chili sauce.
Stir fry spring onions in peanut oil.
Add prawns and spices, toss about for a couple of minutes.
Chinese 5 spice
Chinese rice wine
Light soy sauce
Toasted sesame oil
1. Prepare all veg and cut into bite sized pieces.
2. Heat peanut oil in wok.
3. Add spring onions, then hard veg, then spices, tossing all the time.
4. Splosh in wine and vinegar - then tomato ketchup and soy sauce to taste.
5. Just before serving toss in pak choi leaves, beans sprouts and a tiny hint of sesame oil.
I preferred this to the noodles earlier in the week, but both were delicious.
Thursday, 19 February 2015
So, tonight we had garlic chili squid and a black bean, vegetable and noodle stir fry.
Noodles are traditional for a long life, I believe. Rice noodles, in our case, to keep it all gluten free.
Chili and garlic squid
Squid tubes - cut into rings
1. Cut squid tubes into rings, mix with chili, garlic and chopped spring onion.
2. Make a batter (quite liquid) from cornflour and water.
3. Dip squid into batter and fry in hot oil.
Black bean paste
Chinese rice wine
1. Prepare all the vegetables, chopping into bite sized pieces.
2. Heat oil in the wok, add spring onion and black bean paste.
3. Stir fry, add veg ... from harder to softer, so they cook in time.
4. Meanwhile cook noodles according to packet instructions.
5. Taste veg and add soy sauce, rice wine and ketchup to taste.
6. Add a little water if it's looking dry.
7. When noodles are ready, drain and add to veg.
8. Sprinkle chopped spring onions over the top.
sweet chili sauce
Mixed to taste
Oh ... I am so full ... roll on the year of the sheep.
Wednesday, 18 February 2015
Salt and black pepper
1. Sautee chopped leek, fennel and celery in olive oil.
2. After a couple of minutes add crushed garlic, and continue to sautee gently.
3. Add a mugful of white rice, and turn over in the oil.
4. Chuck in white wine and some stock. Simmer, add more until the risotto is nearly done.
5. Add frozen peas and cheese. Simmer gently.
Season and top with roccolo.
Tuesday, 17 February 2015
Gluten free pancakes
Gluten free flour
Leek and garlic mushrooms
Baby salad leaves
Roasted cherry tomatoes
1. Start with the pancakes - make the batter.
2. Then gently with the veg sweated down in oil and butter.
3. Make the pancakes, keep warm.
4. Fry the halloumi.
5. Put everything on the table, and let people assemble their own.
Sunday, 1 February 2015
1. Sautee chopped leek, chopped celery and peeled and chopped carrots with the garlic in olive oil.
2. When a bit soft, add florets of cauliflower and chopped mushrooms.
3. Add a sprinkling of mixed herbs, passata and water.
4. Put the lid on, and cook through for about 20 minutes.
5. Add butter beans, peas and sliced olives. Continues to cook. Season.
When it's done, serve with rice and grated cheese.
Delicious - and healthy, and a veg box victory.