Saturday, 16 May 2015
Anyway, I started with the rice and lentils, and got them on the way, then I chopped the veg for steaming. Then I prepped the mushrooms. Then I made the watercress sauce.
When all that had happened -the rice was cooking gently in the oven, the lentils were 2/3rds cooked ... so I started off the mushrooms in the oven.
Rape seed oil
1. Cook the brown rice, follow your favourite method - I do ... put in heavy pot, cover with water to 1 inch over the surface. Bring to the boil. Cover and leave in a medium oven for at least 20 minutes
2. Boil lentils in loads of water for 20+ minutes.
3. Chop veg (leeks, carrot, beans) and steam over boiling water for about 20 minutes.
4. Drizzle rape seed oil in a baking tray, add mushrooms, stem side down, drizzle over a little more oil, grind over black pepper and bake for about 20 minutes.
5. Chop an onion, and fry gently until golden brown, add garlic and zatar spice - stir in drained lentils and rice.
6. Turn mushrooms over, layer in basil leaves and spoon rice mixture onto the top. Pop back into the oven for 5 minutes. At this point add the shredded cabbage to the steaming vegetables.
7. Zizz together 1 small gherkin, large handful of watercress, 2 chopped garlic cloves, juice of half a lemon and good splosh of oil.
8. Serve ... sprinkling the vegetables with sesame seeds.
Thursday, 14 May 2015
Rape seed oil
Parmesan (to serve)
1. Put water on to boil in a pan big enough to take the pasta, and hold steamers for the vegetables.
2. Remove the woody ends from the asparagus, chop the stems into 1 inch pieces, reserving the delicate spears.
3. Top and tail the beans and cut into bite sized pieces.
4. Boil the pasta in water, after a minute or so put the veg pieces on to steam (not the spears, put them in 5 minutes later.
5. Drizzle oil onto a serving plate, squirt on lemon juice and add some seasoning. Chuck on the salad leaves .. whichever you are using.
6. Lightly fry the pine nuts until golden brown - watch them, they WILL burn if you take your eyes off them.
7. Drain the pasta and veg, drizzle on oil and squirt with lemon, toss and add to presentation plate.
8. Liberally sprinkle on toasted pine nuts, shave on parmesan to date.
Scoff. Bring on summer.
Leeks, washed and chopped
Carrots, peeled and chopped
Sping cabbage shredded
Blackenned Cajun seasoning
1. Put the potatoes on to par-boil.
2. Sautee leeks and carrots in olive oil, add crushed garlic.
3. Add a handful, or so, of small lentils and some white wine and a teaspoon of english mustard, simmer.
4. Drain potatoes and put in hot olive oil in an oven tray. Turn them over in the oil, and sprinkle on speices and herbs. Roast for about 45 minutes, in a hot oven.
5. Simmer veg, add water if necessary for a while. About 5 minutes before serving add in shredded cabbage.
6. Fry the halloumi, at medium heat, in a tiny drop of olive oil, until golden on each side.
This was a fantastic finish to last week's veg box, the spring greens giving the casserole a nice sweetness at the end, balancing the warming earthiness of the lentils and mustard.
Wednesday, 13 May 2015
Garlic proawns and peas
(Some pepper and cheese things from a jar)
1. Peel and chop potatoes into chunks, boil.
2. Peel and chop 2 red onions. Sautee in 2 pans, one for the potatoes, one for the mushrooms.
3. Add butter to the mushroom pan, garlic and chopped mushrooms, cook down.
4. Add tomatoes, and a pinch of chili flakes to the onions for the potatoes, cook down.
5. In a third pan, slosh olive oil, and handful of frozen prawns and frozen peas, crushed garlic and chili flakes, with a splosh of white wine. Leave to sit and cook off hard when everything else is just about done.
6. Add cooked drained potatoes to onions and tomatoes.
7. Dress green salad leaves with olive oil and lemon juice.
Sunday, 3 May 2015
So, what did I do....?
1. Take the big floppy leaves from the outside of the cauliflower. Leave the nice cuddly soft leaves, they are delicious. Drizzle with oil oil and sprinkle with salt, sumin seeds and sumac. Squeeze on juice of half a lemon.
2, Stick the cauliflower in a hottish oven - for an hour(ish)
3. Boil the jersey royals, for 5 mins, and then stick in hot olive oil, in a roasting tray, in the oven.
4. The veg ... in olive oil gently fry 1 chopped and washed leek, 1 celery stick, a small handful of green beans, a peeled and chopped carrot and some crushed garlic.
5. Add some water to the frying veg and simmer until al dente ... add shredded spring greens.
Twas delish innit.
Thursday, 30 April 2015
1. Put your pasta water on to boil. When it's ready put in your pasta.
2. Chop and rinse your leek, soften in olive oil.
3. When a bit soft add garlic, anchovy fillets and stir in.
4. Add chopped beans and broccoli spears, broken into bite sized pieces. Cook through, adding water to boil and steam to cooked.
5. Drain pasta, add to sauce, add a handful of spinach and grind on black pepper. Turn over and spinach will "melt" into the pasta.
Serve, scoff. Really healthy and very tasty.
Sunday, 19 April 2015
Made this last night, it was great.
Gluten free pasta
1. Sweat onions and garlic.
2. Chop broccoli stem and mushrooms into smallish pieces and seat them down too.
3. Cook pasta according to packet instructions.
4. Five minutes to go add broccoli spears and roqueforte.
Mix and scoff.