Thursday, 9 November 2017
Halloumi, with roast potatoes and autumnal veg
1. Cut potatoes, skin on, into cubes. Roast in olive oil for about 50 minutes.
2. Peel, chop and boil the parsnips and carrots until just soft. Drain, and "mash" by cutting with a sharp knife in all directions, add a good knob of butter and plenty of black pepper after a couple of minutes of slashing, then carry on slashing until the vegetables are in tiny pieces. Keep warm in the oven until you are ready.
3. Sautee chopped onion and crushed garlic, then add shredded cavolo nero. Add a splsh of water and fry/steam until the water has evaporated. The cavolo nero should now be done.
4. Fry halloumi for a minute or so on each side, in a hot pan. You might want to add a little oil to help it stop sticking.
5. Serve, sprinkle cavolo nero with za'atar, and scoff.
The za'atar (sesame seeds, sumac and herbs) give the cavolo nero some extra zing and a protein boost. A real winner.