Sunday, 17 March 2013
Lobster macaroni and cheese
1 lobster, frozen (in this case)
Macaroni (or other short pasta)
1/2 red chili
1 clove garlic, crushed
about an inch cubed each of ... cheddar, cheshire and parmesan, grated
5 tbsp natural yogurt
Heat oven to 180
1. Thaw lobster (which may, or may not have been left by previous owners of new house! who left it here by accident, but told me about it after I had found it... no, they didn't want it back they said I should keep it as a gift :) )
2. Extract meat from tails and claws of the lobster. Remove "vein" from tail meat and chop into bit sized pieces, carefully picking out bits of shattered shell (you could do something clever with the shells and oil and stuff, but I didn't today).
3. Bring pan of water to the boil, when boiling chuck in pasta.
4. After 2-3 minutes chuck in chopped beans.
5. When pasta is nearly cooked (10 mins boiling, when it says 11) drain.
6. Chick spinach into pasta and beans stir and leave to wilt.
7. Meanwhile grate all cheeses, add crushed garlic and finely chopped chili - stir together with yogurt - season with black pepper (and a scrape of nutmeg if you fancy).
8. Mix cheese sauce, pasta and veg and lobster bits together - put into oven proof dish, bake in oven for 30 mins (ish)
You could have topped the dish with more cheese; breadcrumbs and cheese; herby garlicky breadcrumbs etc .. delish whatever.
The resulting dish was lovely. Creamy, despite ridiculously easy method of making "cheese sauce", a little bit tangy through using yogurt instead of cream/ wine to make a white sauce from a bechamel.
Incredibly easy, but felt like a proper treat.