Thursday, 4 July 2013
Mackerel salad "nicoise" and carrot and grapefruit salad
Handful black olives
3 large carrots
3 spring onions
1 clove garlic, crushed
1. Boil potatoes and steam green beans.
2. Mix dressing - garlic, tiny teaspoon mustard, olive oil, juice of half a grapefruit, 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar - season and taste.
3. Drain potatoes and beans and chuck on dressing while still warm.
4. Mix in other chopped salad vegetables - cucumber, lettuce, pea shoots, red pepper, tomatoes and olives.
5. Flake on smoked mackerel and toss.
1. Peel and grate carrots, add chopped spring onions.
2. Add 2 tbsp onion seeds and juice of half a grapefruit and a big pinch of salt.
Scoff, with lovely victim, and a nice glass of wine. Summer is here. We were particularly impressed with the grapefruit in the carrot salad. Enough left for 2 packed lunches, so that was a bonus too.