Sunday, 4 August 2013
Lentil fritters, mushroom "biryani", roast tomatoes and yogurt dressing
For the dhal:-
Big handful of red lentils - boiled in water for about 20-30 minutes. Left to cool - kept in fridge over night.
Cooked basmati rice.
peanut (or other light) oil
3 cloves garlic
big handful of mushrooms
2 baby aubergines
small handful methi (fenugreek leaves - not essential, coriander or parsley would also be good, but the methi was delicious)
biryani (or whatever) spice mix
juice of a lemon
small handful mint
1. Chop onion and sweat in peanut oil. Add chopped mushrooms and aubergines.
2. Stick vine tomatoes in a pan with a little olive oil in the bottom, add sprinkle of sea salt and put on tightly fitting lid and heat on hob for 15-20 minutes. Shake occasionally, but resist opening pan and prodding too often.
3. To softened veg add half of the crushed garlic, the biryani mix and the cooked rice. Stir and keep on a low heat (you may need to add a little water if it looks a bit dry.
4. Form lentils into patties, and fry in a hot pan in peanut oil for about 3 minutes on each side.
5. Mix yogurt, the rest of the garlic, mint, chopped chili, lemon juice, olive oil and salt and pepper to taste.
6. Stir chopped fenugreek into rice - leave to stand as you serve out patties and tomatoes, then serve with good spoonful of dressing.
8. Have seconds.