Thursday, 1 December 2016
Veg available from Garry on the outside market, rice and spices from The Mediterranean Pantry - fresh prawns from Paul the Fish (or frozen).
short grain rice
1. Sautee chopped leek and onion in olive oil, add crushed garlic when it's soft.
2. Add chopped red pepper, cook for a minute or so.
3. Soften a pinch of saffron in a dropof warm water.
4. Add a good handful of rice to the pan, turn over in the oil so that every grain is coated.
5. Add saffron water, chilli flakes and herbs and a pint or so of stock, stir in.
6. Simmer gently, add chopped mushrooms and a tin of chopped tomatoes. Stir now and again to stop it sticking.
7. Defrost prawns in hot water, drain.
8. Test the rice, season - when it's nearly done add in prawns and a big handful of spinach. Turn it over in the pan.
9. The prawns will cook in about 2 minutes.
10. Serve, scoff ... have seconds.