Tuesday, 9 December 2014
So, these are vegetables... and a happy new dinner
Lots of garlic though, and some green beans, and some mushrooms .... ideas began to form, and door to table - just under an hour, including proper crispy crust on potatoes.... yum
Green beans, chopped
Mushrooms (button and chestnut)
Stock (cube in water)
Little gem lettuce, cut into wedges
1. Turn oven up to full whack.
2. Slice potatoes into 1/2 cm slices and arrange in microwavable/ovenproof dish, with olive oil splished into the bottom. Drizzle a little more over the potatoes. Nuke for about 8 minutes - until the potato slices are nearly cooked.
3. Meanwhile ... chop celery and green beans, and simmer gently in white wine and stock, with a clove of crushed garlic.
4. Transfer potatoes to hot oven, to cook fully, and crisp up the tops.
5. Chop mushrooms, cook gently in olive oil, over a low heat in a saucepan until they have released their liquid and concentrated down again. Season with black pepper.
6. Let everything tick over for 20 minutes or so ... making sure that nothing gets too dry. If the mushrooms are all done - transfer to an oven dish and put in under the potatoes.
7. Add frozen peas and lettuce to the green veg, allow to cook to 5 minutes.
Serve, scoff.... squeeze on lemon juice if you like it. Honestly, this was brilliant.