Tuesday, 16 December 2014
Leek, fennel and smoked mackerel spaghetti
So, I came up with this, which also had the advantage of being quite quick ... which was useful, as the van has to go to the garage tomorrow, so I had to empty it ... it's amazing how much you can cram into a small camper van!
So, put the water on for the pasta (gluten free spaghetti in our case), then start the sauce, when the water is boiling, and the leek and fennel have started softening ... all done inside 20 minutes.
1 leek, chopped into rings
1 bulb of fennel, finely chopped
1 glass of dry white wine
smoked mackerel, flaked
1 big tbsp capers in salt, rinsed and roughly chopped
Spaghetti - or other pasta
1. Sautee leek in olive oil for a few minutes (as previously suggested, get your pasta water on first, for the speediest serve), until the crunch lightens.
2. Add chopped fennel, and continue to sautee. The two vegetables will soften and go a bit translucent - now chuck in the white wine and simmer - gently - for a few minutes.
3. Chuck in flaked fish and roughly chopped capers.
4. When the pasta is done, drain.
5. Drain pasta.
6. Toss sauce into pasta, serve and grind on black pepper. ( a glug of olive oil if it looks a little dry)
Could have added lemon - but the wine was dry, so no real need. Could have added a spoonful of creme fraiche for silkiness - but trying to keep it lactose free.