Sunday, 16 December 2012
Cranberry and Clementine chutney (and some mince pies)
Mince pies - buy jar of mince meat - as posh as you can manage - I like the ones with cranberry in.
Shortcrust pastry - follow Nigella's recipe
120g 00 flour
1 tbsp natural yogurt
very cold water
1. Chop butter into small pieces, too into flour - put in freezer for 10 minutes (Nigella says it, and it works to keep the pastry light and crumbly).
2. Beat egg yolk and yogurt together, put in fridge.
3. Rub in cold butter and flour, mix in egg mixture, with a tsp or so of cold water if you need to to bring it to a paste.
4. Wrap in cling film and put in fridge for 20 minutes before rolling out.
5. Roll out on floured board, fill, put tops/stars on (don't roll pastry more than twice)
6. Milk wash tops and sprinkle on granulated sugar.
7. Bake for about 12 minutes at 180.
Cranberry and Clementine Chutney
1 tsp olive oil
2 onions chopped
6 clementines, peeled and segmented
tiny pinch cinnamon
reasonable pinch chili flakes
350g (ish) sugar
100ml cider vinegar
1. Soften onions slightly.
2. Chuck in fruit, spices, sugar and vinegar.
3. Simmer for about 20 minutes. Taste and adjust. (Watch it, it'll be hot, put it on a plate like jam to cool down).
4. If keeping pot in sterilised jars.