Tuesday, 11 June 2013
Roast chicken with mediteranean roast vegetables
It is really tasty, and fresh. You could have roast potatoes or rice - but I just had a chapati which was left over from previous dishes.
1 chicken (free range/organic if you can afford it)
1 bulb garlic
6 shallots (or 1 onion, red would be good)
1. Preheat oven to 180C
2. Cut garlic and lemon in half and stuff all halves into cavity in chicken. Rub chicken with olive oil (not much) and season.
3. Put chicken on baking tray, breast side down (cover with foil). This allows the fat to start melting and spread through the chicken as it starts cooking, keeping it moist.
4. Stick in over for 30 minutes - get on with jobs, phone calls, silly internet games .. whatever.
5. Take chicken out of oven, take off foil, turn chicken breast side up, chuck 1 big glass of water into the roasting tray. Chuck back into oven. Bake for about another hour.
6. In another over proof dish - put in 1 tbsp olive oil - chop into bite sized pieces veg (aubergine, courgette, mushroom, onion), season, toss around, lay vine tomatoes over the top. Chuck into oven with chicken.
7. Faff about for around an hour. Should be ready. Check that the chicken is cooked by inserting knife into fattest part of thigh and making sure that juice is clear not pink.
(If you have gathered victims - receive copious praise - do not let on how easy it was).