Wednesday, 8 January 2014
Red cabbage crumble, parsnip and carrot parmesan mash
Red cabbage and leek crumble
1 leek, chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1/2 red cabbage, shredded
pinch mixed herbs
glass of red wine
small handful of dried cranberries
1 tbsp grainy mustard
juice of an orange
pinch of sugar
2 tbsp creme fraiche
2 tbsp natural yogurt
2 tbsp double cream
handful of hazelnuts
2 handfuls of oats
good pinch of mixed herbs
2 rice cakes
1. Sweat down leek in olive oil, add garlic and herbs.
2. Add shredded red cabbage, herbs, wine, cranberries, mustard and some water - simmer.
3. When the cabbage is starting to soften add the juice of an orange, a pinch of sugar and seasoning to taste.
4. Keep simmering and tasting, adding water if it gets dry - after about 40 minutes if should be softish, but still keep a texture.
5. Remove form the heat. Allow to cool for a few minutes and then stir in dairy ingredients.
6. Zap hazelnuts and rice cakes - tip into a bowl with oats and herbs. Mix into a crumble mix with olive oil.
7. Top the cabbage, in an oven proof dish, with the crumble mix - and bake for about 30 minutes.
Parsnip, carrot parmesan mash
3 parsnips, peeled and chopped (held in acidulated water)
2 big carrots, peeled and chopped
1. Boil the veg until it's done.
2. Zizz parmesan.
3. "Mash" veg with a sharp knife, adding butter and black pepper.
4. Stir in cheese and bake in oven for 20 minutes or so.
We had both dishes with steamed broccoli. It were lovely.
Estimated cost: Veg £2.10, hazelnuts 60p, cheese 75p, dairy 40p other stuff £2 max. (£5.85) Serves 6 - 98p