Thursday, 9 January 2014
red onion and mozarella tarte tatin
6 red onions
half a bottle of (cheap) red wine
gluten free flour
butter/ soya spread
OK - so there are 3 dishes - but break it down, none of them are too complicated. Start with the onions, then make the pastry and put it in the fridge. Put the potatoes on to boil. The cabbage takes 15 minutes to steam, so chop it when you have a gap. This will take an hour and a half form walking in the door, but you can be doing stuff in between faffings.
This follows what I did tonight
1. Peel and chop into wedges 6 red onions. Turn the oven on to 180C.
2. Sautee the onion pieces in olive oil, keep stirring around for 10 minutes, add a good pinch of salt after a few minutes.
3. Make pastry by rubbing in fat to seasoned flour, add a spoonful yogurt and cold water to form a dough. Put in the fridge so that it's easier to handle.
4. Chop potatoes into bite sized pieces and par boil (about 7ish minutes from boiling). Put a baking tray with a few tbsp of olive oil in a hot oven ready to roast them.
5. Add some red wine to the onions and simmer until soft.
6. Shred the cabbage and put it into a steamer.
7. Drain the potatoes, toss in the oil in the baking tray and put into the oven .. the count down in 50(ish) minutes form now.
8. Scatter mozzerella pieces over the onions.
9. Roll out the pastry, tuck onto the top of the onion and cheese mixture
10. Bake - for about 30 mins. After 10 minutes start step 11.
11. Steam the cabbage for about 12 minutes.