Saturday, 16 May 2015
Stuffed mushrooms with steamed veg and watercress sauce
Anyway, I started with the rice and lentils, and got them on the way, then I chopped the veg for steaming. Then I prepped the mushrooms. Then I made the watercress sauce.
When all that had happened -the rice was cooking gently in the oven, the lentils were 2/3rds cooked ... so I started off the mushrooms in the oven.
Rape seed oil
1. Cook the brown rice, follow your favourite method - I do ... put in heavy pot, cover with water to 1 inch over the surface. Bring to the boil. Cover and leave in a medium oven for at least 20 minutes
2. Boil lentils in loads of water for 20+ minutes.
3. Chop veg (leeks, carrot, beans) and steam over boiling water for about 20 minutes.
4. Drizzle rape seed oil in a baking tray, add mushrooms, stem side down, drizzle over a little more oil, grind over black pepper and bake for about 20 minutes.
5. Chop an onion, and fry gently until golden brown, add garlic and zatar spice - stir in drained lentils and rice.
6. Turn mushrooms over, layer in basil leaves and spoon rice mixture onto the top. Pop back into the oven for 5 minutes. At this point add the shredded cabbage to the steaming vegetables.
7. Zizz together 1 small gherkin, large handful of watercress, 2 chopped garlic cloves, juice of half a lemon and good splosh of oil.
8. Serve ... sprinkling the vegetables with sesame seeds.