Monday, 12 June 2017
Piri piri roast chicken thighs, aubergine and courgette bake with za-atar, feta and hazelnuts
I wanted a cheap, tasty, and summery dinner ... and I had a look in the fridge - courgettes and aubergine which needed using, lots of mediterranean flavours added to give it some sunshine.
1. Chop potatoes into big chucks and roast in olive oil.
2. Cut 4 fat garlic cloves into chunky peices and put into oven dish. Add chicken thighs, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with piri-piri spices. Bake for 40 minutes or so.
3. Cut aubergine and courgette into slices about 4mm thick, griddle in a hot pan with olive oil. Slice tomatoes to about the same thickness. Layer them - auberine, courgette, tomato in an oven dish.
4. Roast hazelnuts briefly in the griddle pan when you have done the veg - roughly chop and sprinkle over the vegetables.
5. In the same griddle pan briefly fry crushed garlic and chopped oregano is olive oil - drizzle this over the vegetables and sprinkle the dish with za-atar. Bake for 20ish minutes.
6. Put together a simple salad - salad leaves, thinly sliced radish and spring onion - dress with avocado oil and balsamic vinegar.
7. Tear some feta onto the vegetable bake.
8. Serve, scoff
The veg dodger dodged the veg and the salad, the vegetarian didn't have the chicken - I had the lot. Happy days.