Thursday, 8 June 2017
Smoked mackerel biryani, roast beetroot with hard boiled egg
Smoked Mackerel biryani
1. Wash beetroot, put, unpeeled, in a roasting dish with lots of garlic - just bash a few cloves and stick them in. Drizzle with a little olive oil and cover tightly with foil. Roast until beetroot is soft ... about an hour.
2. Cool beetroot. When cold - peel - I always wear gloves as otherwise you end up looking like an extra from the Texas chainsaw massacre - this time I had run out of gloves so improvised with 2 plastic bags on my hands ... clumsy, but it worked. Chop into chunks and drizzle with balsamic. Store in the fridge.
3. Sweat off chopped onion and crushed garlic in olive oil, in a heavy bottomed pan with a tight fitting lid.
4. Add a teaspoon, or so, of biryani spice mix (or curry mix of your choice). Stir in. Add basmati rice, stir until every grain has a thin layer of oil. Add stock to 1 inch about the rice, bring to the boil.
5. As soon as the rice boils stick the lid on it, and turn it RIGHT down. Leave for 15 minutes.
6. Boil the eggs. (From cold, bring to the boil, simmer for 3 minutes, put under running cold water to cool quickly ... peel)
7. Stir frozen peas into the rice, add flaked smoked mackerel - stir gently, slam the lid back on for 5 minutes.
8. Serve, scoff