Sunday, 2 September 2012
Asparagus and pea risotto
I happened to have thai jasmine rice handy, and not risotto rice, so some authenticity lost, but still works.
I didn't sautee the celery quite long enough, so it kept a bit of crunch... I think it would be better all soft, but it was tasty.
Serves 4. Takes about 30 minutes. Approx calories: 365 per portion Approx price: £1.86.
Tablespoon of olive oil
5 spring onions
1 clove crushed garlic
1 red pepper
Handful of chopped celery
White rice - about 200g
About 2 pints of stock
Bunch of asparagus
Handful of frozen peas
Half a tub of low fat cream cheese
Handful of grated parmesan
1. Chop celery, red pepper and spring onion. Sautee in olive oil for a few minutes. Add crushed garlic and stir around.
2. Add rice and stir to make sure that every grain has a film of oil on it.
3. Add stock, a ladle at a time, allowing it to cook into the rice... keep stirring and adding - it'll take about 15 minutes.
4. Add chopped asparagus stems after about 5 minutes of adding stock. After another 5ish minutes add frozen peas and asparagus tips. Keep adding stock and stirring.
5. When rice is soft, take it off the heat and allow to stand.
6. Stir in cream cheese and parmesan, season and scoff.