Monday, 13 May 2013
Pepper and kidney bean "risotto"
1 tbsp olive oil
2 celery stalks
1 large pepper (yellow today)
2 cloves garlic crushed
1 tsp mixed herbs
pinch chili flakes
small mug of rice
1 tin kidney beans
1 pint water
1 tin tomatoes
1. Sweat chopped leeks and celery in olive oil, add other chopped vegetables.
2. After a couple of minutes add garlic, herbs and chili.
3. Add rice, turn over in pan until each grain is separated, and all ingredients have a film of oil.
4. Add about half a pint of water, simmer until it starts to be soaked in.
5. Add tin of kidney beans (rinsed), simmer for 5 minutes, add more water if it looks as if its going to dry out.
6. After about 5-10 minutes add tinned tomatoes (chop on back of wooden spoon in the pan, if they are not already chopped).
7. Keep simmering, stirring occasionally. Should be ready after about 10 minutes.
8. Turn heat off, allow to sit for 5 minutes. Serve, sprinkled with cheese.
This has made about 5 portions.