Thursday, 23 May 2013
Veg box chowmein
Recipe: open fridge, take out whatever vegetables are there - chop them up, stir fry/simmer with tasty stuff from cupboard. Scoff.
Oh, OK, this is what I did:-
2 cloves garlic crushed
small knob ginger, grated
2 leeks, sliced and washed
1 red pepper
Biggish pinch of chili flakes
1 tbsp tomato puree
2 tbsp Soy sauce (check GF if GF)
1 tbsp Chinese rice wine
splash rice wine vinegar
2 tbsp peanut sauce
Handful baby spinach
1. Prep veg - cut into smallish pieces.
2. Soften leeks in oil, after a minute or so chuck in other veg, garlic, ginger and chili flakes. Stir round.
3. Add about a pint of water and tomato puree, soy sauce, rice wine and rice wine vinegar.
4. Simmer for about 10-15 minutes, let the sauce thicken up, but don't let it go completely dry - just add more water as you need it until the vegetables are just done. Add peanut sauce when the vegetables are nearly cooked.
5. Meanwhile boil the rice noodles.
6. Drain noodles, add to vegetables with baby spinach. Take of the heat and stir together until spinach leaves wilt.
7. Sprinkle on sesame seeds.