Friday, 31 May 2013
Veggie curry, tarka dhal and brown rice
1 tbsp olive oil
1 red pepper
6 medium potatoes, diced
curry spices (I used a ready mixed masala mix, could have been paste etc etc)
garlic - about 3 cloves, crushed
1 tin tomatoes
Big handful of spinach
3 tbsp oil (neutral flavoured, I used mild olive oil)
1 tbsp urad dhal
1 tsp black mustard seeds
1 clove garlic (crushed)
1 tsp fennel seeds (and/or cumin seeds)
1 tsp garam masala
2 (dried) red chilies
1. Sautee leek in olive oil - when a little softenned add other vegetables, except spinach.
2. Add garlic and spices, stir. Add water/stock and tin of tomatoes ... simmer until veg are soft enough, sauce will have thickenned a bit.
3. Boil lentils in water (about 20 minutes) for dhal.
4. Cook rice (follow packet instructions)
5. Heat 3 tbsp oil (neutral) and when hot add urad dhal, mustard seeds, fennel seeds, chilies, garlic and whatever other spices you want to add. Heat for a couple of minutes, until the seeds start to pop. Chuck into the cooked lentils.
Scoff. Say yum. Think - this is lots of my 5 a day, it must be good for me - scoff seconds :).