Pages

Friday 31 May 2013

Veggie curry, tarka dhal and brown rice

My Mum is here for a visit.  She very generously took me out for Tapas last night.  So the veggies were stocking up in the fridge, so I thought I'd rustle us up a veggie curry.  Halfway through making the curry I thought ... d'ya know I quite fancy some dhal.. so I made some of that too.  Dinner for 2 - tick - kitchen fairies lunches for 6 - tick.

1 tbsp olive oil
1 leek
1 red pepper
Mushrooms
1 cauliflower
6 medium potatoes, diced
curry spices (I used a ready mixed masala mix, could have been paste etc etc)
garlic - about 3 cloves, crushed
water/ stock
1 tin tomatoes
Big handful of spinach

Brown rice

red lentils
water
3 tbsp oil (neutral flavoured, I used mild olive oil)
1 tbsp urad dhal
1 tsp black mustard seeds
1 clove garlic (crushed)
1 tsp fennel seeds (and/or cumin seeds)
1 tsp garam masala
2 (dried) red chilies

1.  Sautee leek in olive oil - when a little softenned add other vegetables, except spinach.
2.  Add garlic and spices, stir.  Add water/stock and tin of tomatoes ... simmer until veg are soft enough, sauce will have thickenned a bit.
3.  Boil lentils in water (about 20 minutes) for dhal.
4.  Cook rice (follow packet instructions)
5.  Heat 3 tbsp oil (neutral) and when hot add urad dhal, mustard seeds, fennel seeds, chilies, garlic and whatever other spices you want to add.  Heat for a couple of minutes, until the seeds start to pop.  Chuck into the cooked lentils.

Scoff.  Say yum.  Think - this is lots of my 5 a day, it must be good for me - scoff seconds :).




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave comments.

Yummly

Yum