Thursday, 19 September 2013
Caribean vegetable stew, with rice and peas
Veg box had squash, pepper and beans, and I fancied something a bit spicy, so came up with this.
2 cloves garlic, crushed
Handful green beans
1 red pepper
Tin chopped tomatoes
2 tbsp peanut gravy mix
Big handful of brown rice
Tin kidney beans
1. Put rice in vast iron pot, add drained kidney beans. Add water to 2 inches above rice and beans. Stir. Bring to the boil, cover, then transfer to an over at 150C.
2. Sautee onion and garlic until a little softenned. Then add prepared veggies. Cook for a few minutes, letting them soften.
3. Add tin of tomatoes, a tinful of water and the Cajun seasoning and peanut mix. Simmer away until rice is done - about 30 minutes.
4. Dry fry peanuts - smash up a bit in a pestle and mortar.
5. Toss lettuce in a drizzle of olive oil and balsamic.
Buy nothing September has not worked out quite so well, and I haven't written everything down - but I am avoiding big food shops.