Monday, 30 September 2013
Potato, tomato and onion bake with steamed veg and a red wine mushroom gravy
Potato, tomato and onion bake
8-10 biggish new potatoes
Clove garlic, crushed
Small handful of grated parmesan
(Chopped fennel tops)
Steamed vegetables - in this case purple sprouting broccoli, carrots, green beans
Red wine mushroom gravy
red wine crushed garlic
knob of butter
1. Slice potatoes, onion and tomatoes thinly. Layer into a casserole, seasoning in between layers. Pour on veg stock (with or without wine). Cover in foil and bake in the oven (180C) for about an hour.
2. Meanwhile, start the gravy - sweat onions in olive oil, when softenned add garlic, herbs, tomato paste if you want, wine, water and seasoning to taste.
3. Check on potatoes - if they are getting towards cooked (ie. sharp knife is offered little resistance) sprinkle on grated parmesan (or not if vegan) and stick back in the oven for 20 minutes.
4. Prepare veg and chop into approximately even sizes and steam for about 12-15 minutes.
5. Just before serving whisk knob of butter into gravy (leave out if vegan, obv!) - this will make it shiny and unctious. Drip unattractively into gravy jug (oh, no, that was just me)
7. Have seconds.
8. Try to resist thirds. Fail.