Tuesday, 4 March 2014
Butter bean and cabbage casserole with baked root veg, and roasted vine tomatoes
End of the veg box week, but absolutely delicious. The root veg bake has featured before - but this time had no cheese in so totally gluten free and vegan tonight.
So... Start the root veg bake first, then stick the tomatoes is the oven, then - after 10-15 mins ... cup of tea/ glass of wine ... whatever you fancy start the green veg casserole.
Root veg bake
Juice of 1/2 a lemon
1 or 2 parsnips, topped and tailed
1 large onion, peeled and cut into chunks
1/2 swede, peeled and chopped
6 carrots, top and tailed
tin of butter beans
veggie stock cube
1. Turn oven on to 180+
2. Grate most of the veg - I use my KitchenAid which obviously makes this much easier - but grate using food processer add ins, or a hand grater will save you time... honestly it will. Particularly if you make too much, freeze it and have it the following day.
3. Mix in other ingredients - bake at 180 for about an hour.
4. At this point splash olive oil onto tomatoes, sprinkle on salt and bung in the oven with the root veg.
Have a cuppa, chat, watch Corrie or whatever... for a bit over half an hour, then...
4. Sautee chopped, rinsed leeks in olive oil.
5. After about 5 minutes add chopped mushrooms, garlic, white wine and about a pint of stock.
6. Simmer briefly and add butter beans, simmer again for about 5 minutes.
7. Shred cabbage, stick it on top of the leeks and steam until done. (I put a lid on it and turned off the heat).