Sunday, 2 March 2014
Veg and mac and cheese, green veg medley
So, two dishes... if you can manage to juggle them, and start them more or less at the same time you could have them both on the table within 30 minutes - but I didn't - it was about an hour, but twas very tasty.
Veg and mac and cheese
kholrabi, peeled and chopped into bite sized pieces
cauliflower, florets separated, stem chopped into bite sized pieces
broccoli, florets separated, stem chopped into bite sized pieces
carrots, peeled and chopped - you guessed it - into bite sized pieces
Pasta (in this case gluten free)
soya milk (or ordinary milk, obvs)
grated cheese (cheddar and cheshire today)
1. Steam vegetables for about 12 minutes.
2. Simmer pasta
3. Boil soya milk, slake corn flour in water, add to hot milk to thicken sauce, whisk quickly over a low heat, to mix in until it thickens. Season. Add 3/4 of the grated cheese.
4. Drain pasta, tip it with veg into an oven proof dish. (don't drain every last drop, some starchy water will help it remain moist). Pour over sauce, move about to mix in.
5. Top with the remaining cheese and bake for 20+ minutes.
Green veg medley
1. Chop and wash leeks. Sweat down in olive oil.
2. Add chopped celery and garlic, soften a bit more. Add white wine and chopped chard stalks, cover and simmer.
3. When veg are soft and nearly ready add shredded chard leaves, cover and steam for five minutes.
Was lovely - have loads left for the freezer/ kitchen fairies lunches. The gluten free pasta and the soya milk make the mac and cheese much lighter and fresher feeling.