Monday, 25 January 2016
Grilled prawns with vegetable risotto
stock - made from organic vegan bouillon
1. Sautee onions in olive oil, until nearly soft.
2. Add crushed garlic, a good pinch of herbs and some chopped green beans. Stir about a bit.
3. Add a good handful of arborio rice and stir in the pan until every grain has a light coating of oil.
4. Chuck in a glassful of white wine, simmer.
5. Add stock, made up from stock powder and hot water, a ladle at a time, letting it simmer and absorb into the rice.
6. Heat a tiny amount of olive oil on a griddle pan.
7. When the rice is just before al dente (ie. just under done, should take about 10 minutes from first addition of stock) chuck in a handful of frozen peas.
8. Griddle the prawns on the hot pan - a couple, or three, minutes per side (from frozen) should do it. Should you be lucky enough to have fresh prawns it would only take a minute or so each side.
9. When risotto is done turn off the heat - it will enjoy resting and soaking up the juices for up to about 10 minutes.
10. Serve risotto, top with prawns and scoff.
Tonight we had a risotto sceptic, and a prawn sceptic ... but clean plates (and seconds) all round.