dhal (not this exact recipe, it's not been leftover since 2012!) - so I thought I'd make some fresh mash, and chuck together these potato cakes - with an aubergine curry sauce.
1. Peel and boil the potatoes for mash.
2. Sautee chopped onion and garlic and the spices in olive oil until soft, then add finely diced aubergine.
3. When the potatoes are done, mash them with a little butter, then put the spinach on top to wilt - put the lid on the pan to keep the heat in.
4. Finish the sauce by adding a tin of tomatoes and simmering.
5. Mix the wilted spinach and left over dhal into the potato - shape into "cakes" and fry for a few minutes on each side - finish in the oven if necessary.