Pages

Tuesday 23 September 2014

Leek, mushroom and cavolo nero risotto

Late home - but a new veg box - so it's a bit like ready, steady, cook.... I think this took about 30 minutes start to finish.  It was tasty and filling - and there is some left for lunches.

By the way, have I mentioned that I LOVE cavolo nero?

It was the mushroom, cavolo nero combo which led me to this as the first of the new veg box dishes.  (The veg box is getting autumnal, so more inventiveness will be required from now on eg. 2 different squashes, beetroot, 2 cabbages and sweet potato languishing in the fridge as I type).

But, for today...

Olive oil
2 leeks - chopped (rinse well)
garlic, crushed
mixed herbs, good pinch
rice - basmati - because that is what I had - purist would quake - a good handful
chopped mushrooms (100g -ish)
veg stock
cavolo nero, shredded

1.  Sweat leeks in olive oil until nearly soft, add garlic and herbs.
2.  Add rice, toss until every grain is covered with a film of oil.
3.  Add chopped mushrooms and stir in.  Add stock/water/wine.  Simmer
4.  Stir liquid in, and let simmer until looking dry again - then add more liquid.
5.  When rice is a bit done, but still chalky in the middle add shredded calvolo nero.
6.  Carry on adding liquid, simmering etc .. until nearly done, taste and season as you go.
7. Let sit for a few minutes before serving.

Scoff.  I added loads more black pepper - but, that's just me, apparently.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave comments.

Yummly

Yum