Tuesday, 16 September 2014
Rice & lentils, roast tomatoes and steamed vegetables
So, from the old veg box - cherry tomatoes, cabbage, lemon.
From the new veg box carrots and runner beans.
From the larder basmati rice, puy lentils, dried fried onions, olive oil, garlic.
From the fridge natural yogurt.
1. Cook rice & boil lentils.
2. Roast tomatoes with olive oil and salt.
3. When the rice, lentils and tomatoes are approaching ready (after about 30 minutes) steam the chopped veg.
4. Stir crushed garlic, lemon juice and seasonning into yogurt.
5. When cooked mix together rice, lentils and onions.
Serve all the elements together, and let people mix what they wish to on their plates. Surprisingly a really well balanced bunch of flavours and textures. One word of warning - when you squish the tomatoes to get the juice into the ricey mixture the juice is i) very very hot and ii) squirts everywhere.
Now, what do I do with... pak choi, radishes, leeks, carrots, beetroot, butternut squash, sweet potatoes, cucumber, green beans, french beans, onions and potatoes? Lots of lovely ingredients, but how to make them work together? (fortunately still some tomatoes and cabbage left to factor in)