Sunday, 12 October 2014
Mustard mash, cavolo nero and kale with pine nuts - and a bit of a vegtable ragu
Quite (!) a busy week, and need to chill at the weekend - but also some teenage student fetching and carrying (not that I mind, actually) - so by Sunday teatime, some comfort food was in order. BUT, this isn't just comfort food - this is comfort food with bells on - it is incredibly nutritious and delicious. There is some butter in the mustard mash - but otherwise - gluten free and without anything processed.
Start with the potatoes, then chop the onion, then the greens. If you get the onions softening before the potatoes have boiled, you are really on it. Keep working on the ragu, put the shredded greens on top of the boiling potatoes when they have been boiling for a couple of minutes.
Keep the ragu cooking, adding stock if it gets too dry.
When potatoes are boiled and mashed, stick them under a hot grill to crisp up the top for 5 minutes. Keep the greens warm and roast the pine nuts at the last minute.
whole grain mustard
1. Boil potatoes - chopped into even chunks - in salted water,
2. When done, drain, and mash with a good knob of butter (olive oil or soya spread for vegans).
3. Beat in a splodge of wholegrain mustard.
Cavolo nero, kale and pine nuts
1. Shred cavolo nero and kale, steam on top of boiling potatoes.
2. Roast pine nuts in dry frying pan.
3. Toss pine nuts onto steamed leaves
1. Sweat chopped onion in olive oil until a bit soft.
2. Add chopped pepper, mushrooms, courgette and herbs and continue to soften.
3. Add a cup of stock and simmer until vegetables are all soft and tasty.
delicious. Really! Try it!