Saturday, 25 October 2014
potato and cabbage gratin, with cumin - and beetroot and carrot burgers
The feature today is the potato and cabbage gratin the beetroot and carrot burgers have featured earlier. I have made them a few times now and they freeze beautifully. Just bake them from frozen.
Potato, cabbage gratin, with cumin.
Chopped potato (1 huge, today)
1. Boil potato with cabbage steaming on top.
2. Sweat onion in olive oil, until soft. Add garlic and cumin.
3. Make the sauce by adding soya milk to onions, slake the corn flour in a little soya milk and stir into the onion mixture. Simmer and stir while it thickens.
4. Tip the cabbage into an oven proof dish, drain the potatoes and add and mix through.
5. Add 3/4 cheese to the sauce and pour over the vegetables. Sprinkle the last of the cheese on top.
6. Bake at 180 for 25-30 minutes, till the top is bubbling and golden. (The burgers will be great in the oven for the same time).
Comforting, and tasty. I'm supposed to avoid lactose - and cheese gives me head aches - but sometimes, just sometimes ... you have to say it's worth it.