Thursday, 13 October 2016
Chicken tikka masala, paneer tikka masala, potato curry and pilau rice
Onion - lots
Tinned chopped tomatoes
tikka masala sauce
1. Put the chicken thighs in an oven dish, drizzle with a little olive oil, season and roast for 30 minutes.
2. Get 3 pans on the hob - a cast iron one with a lid for the rice, and two deep frying pans for the curries. Put a blob of ghee in each one, over a low heat.
3. Chop onions - and fry some in each of the pans. Crush garlic and add it to the 2 curries, add grated ginger to the masala one.
4. For the rice now add a cinnamon stick, a few cardamon pods, a teaspoon of turmeric and some curry leaves. Stir into the onions, add basmati rice, stir to coat all grains, add cold water to about an inch over the rice.
5. Add a tin of chopped tomatoes to the masala pan, stir in.
6. Add fennel seeds, cumin seeds, mustard seeds and a pinch of chilli to the potato curry pan. Chop potatoes and stir them in. Add a couple of cups of water and simmer until potatoes are nearly done.
7. Check the rice - as soon as it comes to the boil slam the lid on and turn the heat right down.
8. Add tikka masala mix to the tomatoes and simmer gently for 5 minutes, then turn the heat off.
9. Fry pieces of paneer briefly, in another pan, just so that it goes golden brown.
10. Put the paneer in an oven dish.
11. Stir yogurt into the slightly cooled tikka mix, pour some over the chicken and some over the paneer - put these back in the oven while the other bits finish.
12. Add a cup of frozen peas to the potatoes, and a huge handful of spinach. After a few minutes stir in the wilted spinach and peas.
13. Serve, scoff.