Saturday, 1 October 2016
Smoked haddock fishcakes
Bread crumbs (polenta to be GF)
1. Put potatoes on for mash.
2. Chop leeks and put into a deep frying pan with soya milk. Add a couple of bay leaves and the smoked haddock. Poach the fish for a few minutes - about 5-7ish depending on the thickness of the pieces.
3. Turn the heat off under the fish and add handfuls of baby spinach.
4. Mash the potatoes - don't add any fat as the soya milk will add enough liquid.
5. Remove the bay leaves from the fish, and then mix into the potato - try to mix gently enough to keep some identifiable fish pieces, but well enough to distribute ingredients through the mixture. Season. If the mixture is too sloppy add some breadcrumbs/polenta to soak up the liquid.
6. Shape into cakes, coat in breadcrumbs and fry for a couple of minutes on each side.
7. Steam beans, cook peas.
8. Serve, scoff ...
These were big fishcakes - but we're very greedy so we polished off 10 between 3 of us.