Thursday, 7 September 2017
Duck breast, with figgy greens and mash
The sherry, fruit and cinnamon do give the greens a nice slightly spicy sweetness, but I still don't have a sweet tooth. On the upside - 6 of my 5 a day in one dish.
1. Peel and dice the potatoes, boil - when cooked mash with butter and put in the oven for the top to crisp up.
2. Sautee chopped onion in olive oil.
3. When the onion is soft add a splash of sherry and a cup of vegetable stock. Add a small handful of raisins and 2 whole figs, simmer briefly.
4. Remove figs, turn off the heat.
5. Cook the duck breasts on a high heat, skin side first for a couple of minutes. Turn the heat down, turn them over for a couple of minutes, then transfer to an oven dish and roast for 10 minutes.
6. Cut figs into pieces.
7. Add green veg to the stock, and simmer/steam for 5 minutes, stir the figs back in and heat through.
8. Serve, scoff, watch veg dodger eat seconds of cabbage mixture.