Monday, 3 February 2014
Beetroot and carrot burgers with roasties and red cabbage slaw
2 large beetroot
salt & pepper
Red cabbage slaw
1/2 red cabbage
This is a job for the food processor!
Start the potatoes
1. Chop and par-boil
2. Tip into oven tray with hot oil - toss, sprinkle with salt, and roast for 1 hour (ish) at 180.
1. Start with the slicing blade and shred red cabbage wedges.
2. Swap the blade for the grater blade, grate the all the onion and carrot - split into 2 batches - 1/2 with the salw, 1/2 for the burger mix.
3. Take furry bits from beetroot, scrub well and grate them too - add to the burger mix.
4. To the burger mix add cumin seeds, oats and 1 egg to make a sticky batter.
5. To the slaw add lemon juice, onion seeds, vinegar, seasoning and olive oil - mix well, and stick in the fridge until ready to eat.
6. Heat olive oil in pan - add spoonfuls of beetroot mix - squash down into patties - you might want to shape a bit with wooden spoons, but it's not important really. Fry for about 4 minutes, turn over and fry on the other side.
7. Keep warm in the oven until everything is nearly ready - the add cheese on top (if you fancy) and (again, if you fancy) sliced tomatoes.
Excellent use of veg box goodies.
Could have been vegan if there was no cheese and omitted the egg from the mix - it works, the patties just don't hold together as well (I made some without egg, so I know it works).