Pages

Thursday 13 February 2014

mushroom, fennel, kholrabi and blue cheese risotto

Well, I was so hungry that I forgot to take a pic until I was half way through my bowl of risotto.  However, it was a success, so I think I'll bung it on the blog - as it were...

We had big scoffy bowls full, and there is loads left, so I think there is enough for 6 servings...

1 onion
1/2 bulb fennel
1/2 kholrabi
garlic
risotto rice
white wine
veg stock
cavolo nero
frozen peas
blue cheese
black pepper

1.  Sautee chopped onion and fennel in olive oil.
2.  Add peeled and chopped kholrabi and crushed garlic, turn over in the oil.
3.  Add a handful of risotto rice, turn over so that every grain is lightly coated in oil.
4.  Chuck in a glass of white wine - listen to it sizzle and boil off, then add a ladle of veggie stock (OK, I cheat - crumble in a stock cube, and then add water as the risotto cooks)
5.  Keep stirring and add more liquid as you need it.  it should take about another 20ish minutes.  Season carefully.  Stir in shredded cavolo nero.
6.  When rice is just off done add a handful of frozen peas and blobs of blue cheese.  Simmer a little longer.
7.  Turn the heat off, and let sit for 5 minutes - then serve.

Enjoy the lovely silky texture.  If, like me, you have LOADS left, let it cool completely before freezing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave comments.

Yummly

Yum