Thursday, 13 February 2014
Butter bean casserole, roast potatoes and steamed vegetables
Right... there is one recipe ... butter bean casserole - and one technique - roastie 'tatoes - OK, two - prepare and steam some veg - for about 15 minutes when everything else is just about ready.
The potatoes take longest, so start with them - heat oven to about 180. The trick with roasties is to heat the oil enough, then chuck the 'tatoes in and make sure they are tossed about to have a film of oil over every
facet of the surface.
So, potatoes... I didn't peel them
1. Chop into bite sized pieces, and boil in salted water for 5 minutes.
2. Put a baking tray in the oven with 3tbsp olive oil in it.
3. Drain potatoes, chuck into hot oil, toss about a bit, sprinkle on salt and chuck in oven for about an hour (check and toss when necessary).
Butter bean casserole
tin of butter beans
This is easy - but don't let it dry out - add more wine/ water as it cooks. Don't add salt until the end so that the skin of the butter beans don't harden unpleasantly.
1. Sautee chopped and washed leek and celery in olive oil. Soften a bit.
2. Add crushed garlic, herbs and white wine. Simmer gently for a bit.
3. When veg are nearly done add drained butter beans.
4. Simmer, add water if necessary.... etc
Meanwhile, steam veg (carrot and savoy cabbage today) - then serve and scoff - was delish.