Sunday, 30 November 2014
Caribbean roast vegetable and chickpea soup
Sweet potato, peeled and chopped into biggish bits
Red pepper, chopped and deseeded
Butternut squash, peeled and prepared
blackenned cajun seasoning
garlic, lots of it, crushed and the tough peel removed (papery bits can be left)
tin of tomatoes
tin of chickpeas, drained
lemon, zest and juice
1. Roast prepared vegetables and garlic in olive oil, whit a good sprinkling of cajun seasonning - in a hot oven, until soft and slightly singed.
2. Meanwhile gently soften a chopped onion in olive oil.
3. Add roast vegetables and garlic to onion, add a pint or so of stock.
4. Bring up to simmer. Add 1/2 tin drained and rinsed chickpeas and a tin of tomatoes. Heat through.
5. Zizz to a smoot soup - add more stock/water to taste.
6. Tip in the remaining chickpeas, and heat through.
7. Just before serving squeeze in lemon juice (1/2 lemon)
Top with yogurt, which has a big pinch of salt, the zest of the lemon, and the other half of the lemon's juice mixed in.
Top that with shredded and fried in olive oil, pak choi.