Wednesday, 14 January 2015
Butter bean casserole, barley groats and kale
Butter bean casserole
1 leek, chopped and rinsed
3 carrots, peeled and diced
1 tin butter beans, drained
Splash of white wine
Salt and pepper (chili if you fancy)
Barley groats (boil in the bag - from Polish shops, take 15 minutes)
Kale - shredded and steamed (10 minutes in a steamer on top of the groats)
So, in from work ... do this ...
1. Chop and rinse leek, put a tbsp of olive oil in a pan on a medium heat, tip in the leek - and gently sautee - about 5 minutes.
2. Peel and chop carrots into smallish dice - add to leeks, stir through.
3. After a few minutes, add mushrooms and a glass of dry white wine, crushed garlic and a tsp of mixed herbs. Tip in drained butter beans
4. Put a pan of water on to boil for the groats, when boiling add groats, put shredded kale in steamer on top to steam.
4. Add water/stock and simmer.
15 mins later... serve