Thursday, 29 January 2015
Chicory, celery and kholrabi pasta bake
It would have been lasagne, but I had no gluten free lasagna, so I used what I had which was gf fusilli - mixed it with the veg sauce - topped with tomatoes and grated cheese.
Celery, about a cupful, diced
Kholrabi, (half) peeled and diced
Chicory (endive), chopped
Pasta shapes (GF fusilli today... but you knwo, whatever... )
1. Gently sautee diced onion and celery in olive oil.
2. When a bit soft add kholrabi and mushrooms, keep softening for a bit, add garlic and oregano.
3. Cook pasta in boiling water.
4. When veg are softenning a bit, add some stock (and/or white wine) and a teaspoon of mustard, simmer for a bit.
5. Add chopped chicory, simmer. I let the sauce down with a little soya milk because it was looking a bit dry, and I thought it would add a little "creaminess" - it worked.
6. When the pasta is nearly done, drain it and mix it with the veg mix and put into an oven dish.
7. Top the pasta mix with sliced tomatoes, and a drizzle of olive oil. Bung in the oven at 180 C.
8. Grate cheese and sprinkle on top of bake after 10 minutes. Bake for a further 20 minutes until bubbling and lovely.