Saturday, 10 January 2015
Tarka dahl and kholrabi and okra curry, with rice
So, in chronological order of preparation:-
Mix 1/3 red rice to 2/3 white basmati rice. Put into cast iron casserole dish.
Cover with water - up to and inch above the rice.
Cover and heat on hob, until it boils.
When water boils, transfer to medium oven, and sit for at least 20 minutes.
1. Boil red lentils in plenty of water, for about 30+ minutes. Stir now and again. Add more water if you need to.
2. Make curry....
3. Just before serving, heat olive oil - when hot add seeds, toss, add leaves and garam masala. Turn off heat.
4. Pour spiced oil onto dahl.
Kholrabi and okra curry
1 onion, finely diced
1 yellow pepper, diced
1 kholrabi, peeled and diced
Curry spice mix (I used a Bombay masala mix)
Shredded cavolo nero
Tinned crushed tomatoes.
1. Sweat onion in olive oil.
2. Add other diced vegetables, stir round until a little soft.
3. Add spice mix, garlic and water. Simmer for 5 minutes or so.
4. Add shredded cavolo nero and frozen okra, turn over a couple of times, then tip in tomatoes.
5. Simmer until all coooked - adding water if it looks a bit dry.
... about now - return to tarka, and findish that off ...
serve, scoff, gloat