Thursday, 31 August 2017
Chilli two ways, with GF cheesy cornbread
GF plain flour
1. Start the chillies. In two separate pans sweat down chopped onion in olive oil.
2. Add crushed garlic, herb and spices - we don't like things too hot so I held back on the chili flakes, you can add, but it's very difficult to take away (if you do over spice you need some sugar to counter balance, so a big squirt of ketchup can help).
3. Add chopped carrot to both, and continue to sweat down.
4. Add minced beef to the meaty version, and diced aubergine to the veggie version. Stir. Keep stirring every now and again until mince is browned, and aubergine is slightly soft.
5. Add chopped courgettes and red pepper to both, stir in.
6. Drain a tin of kidney beans and a tin of black beans, stir half of each into each chili.
7. Then add a cup of passata and a cup of water - simmer - season to taste.
8. When they are cooked (about 20 minutes, but you can just keep simmering gently, just make sure that they don't get too dry, add more water if necessary), add dark chocolate and a splash of milk/soya milk (this just "softens" the chili slightly). Stir until chocolate has dissolved. Spritz with lime if you have any.
Make soda bread
1. Combine a cup of GF plain flour, a cup of cornmeal, 1/2tsp each of salt, baking powder and baking soda.
2. Whisk together 1 egg, about half a cup of soya milk and a spoonful of natural yogurt or sour cream (you need a little acid to get the baking soda working).
3. Mix a big handful of grated cheese into the wet ingredients.
4. Combine the dry and the wet ingredients - kneed gently, but not for too long. Juts enough to bring the mixture together. Form into a round - with a sharp knife slash the top in a cross.
5. Bake, on a floured tray, in a medium oven for about 30 minutes.
Serve, with sour cream .... scoff