Saturday, 26 August 2017
Smoked haddock and cavolo nero risotto
White wine (optional)
1. Soften chopped onion in olive oil.
2. After a couple of minutes add risotto rice, stir into the oil until every grain is lightly coated. Pour in a glass of white wine, add a sprinkle of herbs, and stir. Add a cup of water/stock and simmer.
3. After about 6 minutes add shredded cavolo nero and chopped mushrooms, stir again. Add more liquid as it absorbed by the rice.
4. Put eggs on to boil.
5. After another 5 minutes put the fish on top of the rice to steam.
6. Keep an eye on the risotto, making sure it doesn't get too dry, add a little stock if necessary, but be gentle with the fish - after 10 minutes it will be nearly cooked so fold it gently through the rest of the mixture, with a handful of frozen peas.
7. Leave the risotto to stand for a few minutes off the heat so that it can suck up the remaining liquid.
8. Take the eggs out of the hot water, run under a cold tap, peel off the shells - and, there you go ...
9. Serve, scoff