Wednesday, 3 February 2016
Veggie chilli, guacamole - rice and tortilla chips
red kidney beans
salt and pepper
juice of half a lemon
natural yogurt (or sour cream)
It takes about 45 minutes, start to finish ... but you could let it simmer away happily for longer if you were busy with something else.
1. Soften chopped onion in olive oil.
2. Add chopped carrots, red pepper and green beans with the crushed garlic.
3. Turn all the veg over in the pan for a couple of minutes, then add a good pinch of mixed herbs and a sprinkle of chilli flakes.
4. Add a teaspoon of bouillon powder and about a pint of water. Simmer.
6. Put the rice on - I put it in a cast iron pot, cover with water to an inch above the surface, bring to the simmer, cover and pop into a coolish oven. This will wait patiently until you are ready.
5. Add a tin of turkish beans (like greek giant beans, but a bit smaller - in a tasty tomato sauce). Add a drained tin of kidney beans. Simmer for another 20 minutes, adding water and seasoning as necessary.
6. While it's simmering chuck together the guacamole - chop a red onion, finely. Chop a tomato and add to the onion. Scoop the flesh out of the avocado and add that too - squish the mixture with a spoon. Squirt on the juice of half a lemon - mix and keep covered, in the fridge, until you are ready to eat.
7. 5 minutes before serving pop the tortilla chips into the oven in an oven proof dish, to warm through.
8. Serve, scoff - adding yogurt if you wish. Grated cheese would be another possible garnish.
Lovely! Would have been vegan except that I am not vegan, and I like the coolness of the yogurt. The guacamole was particularly well received, as there was a bit of a crunch left in it - and we like that :)