Thursday, 14 November 2013
So, easy kedgeree:-
1 turnip, peeled and diced
malaysian fish curry mix (cos I have some, could be another spice mix)
1 pack of "fish pie" mix (cod, salmon, smoked haddock)
1/2 tin chopped tomatoes
handful of frozen peas
1. Sweat chopped onion in olive oil. About 3 minutes.
2. Add chopped veg - could be a mixture - we had turnip and leek to use up. About 2 minutes.
3. Add rice and stir in, so that every grain is separate. Chuck in the spice mix and tinned tomatoes and some stock/wine and simmer for a bit, don't let it get too dry, but don't swamp it.
4. When the rice is "al dente" add in fish bits. Leave them on top of the rice mixture and put on a lid to steam for about 5 minutes.
5. Chuck in a handful of frozen peas, stir in.
6. At this point you should be able to turn off the heat, clamp the lid down hard, and let the ricey mixture soak up the residual juice.