Pages

Thursday 14 November 2013

Easy "kedgeree"

I don't want to bleat on... but I have had a couple of bad days or so.  On the Sunday before we had this for tea I fell over on ice - people around me insisted it was a heavy frost, not ice, but it WAS ice... it was water, frozen and invisible on the pavement.. and I fell over.  Dramatically!  One minute I was upright, next I was on my back.  Luckily (hmphh) the dog broke my fall ... well the poor thing got squished under my arm for a milli-second as I fell - he did not provide a mattress in my minute of need.  So, I spent a day ouching, a second day unable to sit down for more than 10 minutes (it's always worse the day after with the bruising), then it has got gradually better.  I won't put a picture of it up here - you will be pleased to hear - but the bruise on my bum really was an insult to the underlying pain!

So, easy kedgeree:-

1 onion
oilve oil
1 turnip, peeled and diced
1 leek
rice
veg stock
malaysian fish curry mix (cos I have some, could be another spice mix)
1 pack of "fish pie" mix (cod, salmon, smoked haddock)
garlic
1/2 tin chopped tomatoes
handful of frozen peas

1.  Sweat  chopped onion in olive oil.  About 3 minutes.
2.  Add chopped veg - could be a mixture - we had turnip and leek to use up.  About 2 minutes.
3.  Add rice and stir in, so that every grain is separate.  Chuck in the spice mix and tinned tomatoes and some stock/wine and simmer for a bit, don't let it get too dry, but don't swamp it.
4.  When the rice is "al dente" add in fish bits.  Leave them on top of the rice mixture and put on a lid to steam for about 5 minutes.
5.  Chuck in a handful of frozen peas, stir in.
6.  At this point you should be able to turn off the heat, clamp the lid down hard, and let the ricey mixture soak up the residual juice.

SCOFF. gloat

2 comments:

  1. Made a less spicy version of this tonight for the Reuben and Jonah's tea. They loved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good to know. It really is the win-win combination of easy, tasty and good for you. Hope you are all well after your bout of lurgies.

      Delete

Please feel free to leave comments.

Yummly

Yum