Pages

Saturday 23 November 2013

Sharon fruit and pomegranate chili and ginger jam

Sharon fruit?  Pomegranate?  I really am not a fruit expert.  I know I "should" eat more of it, but it doesn't come naturally to me.  OK, if you eat puddings, chop it up and have a fruit salad, in lots of combinations... but I don't eat pudding more than once a month.  So here I am with 3 sharon fruit and 3 pomegranates, what to do?  Lots of snuffling in the house as well, so a good faff in the kitchen mucking about with stuff kind of a Saturday, so I though chutney... and then I though again.. chili jam!

2 smallish onions, finely chopped
olive oil
3 sharon fruits
2 pomegranates
dried rosemary
gralic, crushed - at elast 4 cloves, more if you like it garlicky
ginger - also crushed - about a thumb sized piece, but to taste
chili flakes (about 1 tsp)
granulated sugar (about 250g)
cider vinegar
splosh of red wine
juice of 1 lime
juice of 2 oranges
water

1. Sautee onion in olive oil.
2.  Add chopped sharon fruit and pomegranate buds (well, whatever they are -- the bobbles, cut pomegranate in half and squeeze the sweet kernels into the pan, squeeze in juice of 1 lime.
3. Sprinkle a little dried rosemary in.  Stir, and gently sautee.
4.  Add garlic, ginger, chili paste, sugar and vinegar.  Simmer.  don't let t dry out.
5.  Taste - I added orange juice and simmered again for a bit.
6.  spoon a bit onto a cold plate, and taste when it cools down a bit.  adjust seasoning to taste.
7.  Put into jars.

Eat with cheese/ cold meats.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave comments.

Yummly

Yum