Monday, 4 November 2013
Mushroom risotto and braised red cabbage
Braised red cabbage
1 onion, chopped
1/2 a red cabbage
dried mushrooms (shitake in this case)
1. Soak the dried mushrooms in boiling water.
2. Start the braised cabbage - gently sautee onions and garlic with a tsp fennel seeds and half a tsp cumin seeds.
3. Add chopped red cabbage and chopped apple. Chuck in glass of wine and simmer. Add water (not much, just dont let it go dry) and seasoning.
4. Simmer very gently, or out in lowish oven, for about 40 mins (or longer, let it take its time... stir it and taste it)
1. Sautee chopped onion and garlic in olive oil.
2. Add rice (a small handful per 2 people), turn over until every grain is coated. Add slosh of white wine and finely chopped fresh and rehydrated dried mushrooms.
3. You will have fished the rehydrated mushrooms from hot water - this is the stock, at least to start with - add it ladle by ladle full to the risotto and let it simmer away.
4. It should take about 20 minutes, stir every now and again, add more water ans seasoning as you think.
5. Turn off heat and leave to stand for a few minutes to suck up the juice.
6. Stir in chopped parsley, grated parmesan - freshly ground black pepper - and serve.
YUM. Seconds of risotto all round. red cabbage was lovely, but saving it for salad tomorrow - when it will have softenned a bit and mellowed in flavour for a cold lunch. Not so keen on cold risotto!