Sunday, 11 May 2014
veg box victory
Four dishes - rice and mug beans, "ratatouie", Tzatziki(ish) and crispy slaw.
Rice and mung beans
1. Cook rice - I did the start off on hob, bring to boil then lid on and let settle in gentle oven until you are ready approach - but what you need is cooked rice.
2. Cook mung beans - they take about 30 minutes boiling from scratch - or zero minutes if you open a tin - I boiled mine with a bay leaf, and then drained them.
3. In a splash of olive oil heat mustard seeds and cumin seeds, then add rice and lentils and mix together with a pinch of cinnamon and salt and pepper.
1. Shred cabbages (about equal amounts). Julienne carrot and radish.
2. Splash on olive oil, a spoonful of cider vinegar and a sprinkle of berbere spice (sumac, thyme and toasted sesame seeds mostly)
3. Toss, put in fridge for flavours to meld and cabbage to soften very slightly.
1. Chop red pepper and courgette, soften in olive oil. Add crushed garlic.
2. Add tin of chopped tomatoes, italian herbs and a splash of water.
3. Simmer until veg are soft - season.
1. Crush a clove of garlic, add splash of olive oil, splash of cider vinegar and pinch of oregano (or mint if you have it).
2. Finely chop cucumber.
3. Mix cucumber and dressing, add 8 big spoonfuls of natural yogurt
4. Season to taste and stick it in the fridge until ready to eat.
All elements were very tasty - they all went with 2 of the other 3 dishes! all in all a success.