Thursday, 15 May 2014
veggie paella and salad
red pepper, chopped
Tin of tomatoes
1. Soften chopped onion and celery in olive oil.
2. Add chopped pepper and mushrooms, stir in and allow a minute for them to relax into the mixture.
3. Add the rice and turn the mixture over so that every grain has a film of oil.
4. Chuck in wine, crushed garlic, herbs, tinned tomatoes and a tin full of stock....
5. Stir until mixed - then walk away, leave it to simmer over a low heat .. have a glass of wine and a chat..
6. Check on it occasionally, you may need to add some more water/stock ... stir to stop it catching on the bottom.
7. When rice is still al dente - but getting there - stir in chopped asparagus stems - NOT the tips.
8. repeat stage 6... for about 5 minutes
9. Add asparagus tips, and a pinch of paprika (taste and season too), check that it is not too dry (should still be gloopy sauce around) - simmer for a few minutes.
10. turn off heat and leave to relax for at least 5 minutes ... if you can ... then
we had salad leaves and homemade mayonnaise.
Oil (I used olive oil and almond oil)
1 tsp cider vinegar
1 tsp grainy mustard
salt and pepper
Put all ingredients in a pot slightly wider than your stick blender blade. Put blade in the bottom of the pot, before you turn it on - turn it on and lift slowly up the mixture and out of the container - it's magic, it works.