Thursday, 14 July 2016
Bicarbonate of soda
Oil, for frying.
1. Peel the onions and cut into fine(ish) half moons. Shake the pieces apart into a big bowl.
2. Sprinkle on salt, shake around - leave for about half an hour. This will draw the liquid, and somehow, some of the bitterness from the onions.
3. Sprinkle, and mix in, a pinch of chili flakes and of cumin seeds.
4. Add a teaspoon of bicarb and mix quickly, it will start reacting with the liquid drawn our of the onions. Add a few spoons of gram flour and mix until evenly distributed.
5. Add a couple of spoonfuls of cold water, and mix to form a batter around the onions.
6. Fry spoonfuls in oil. Don't overcrowd the pan - fry in batches - drain the bhajis on kitchen towel and keep them warm in the oven until they're all done.