Wednesday, 27 April 2016
Gammon in a mustard and cider sauce, with purple mash and cumin cabbage and carrots
The gammon is organic and came with the veg box - and was really good.
Potatoes (they don't have to be purple!)
Bouillon powder (well, stock of any sort really)
1. Peel potatoes, chop into chunks and boil in salted water.
2. Peel and chop onion, sautee in olive oil.
3. Add a spoon of mustard to the onions, and about 1/2 pint cider. Simmer.
4. In another pan, heat a little olive oil and add a teaspoon of cumin seeds.
5. Peel and slice carrots, shred cabbage. Add to cumin and oil, and mix around. Add half a cup of water, put a lid on and cook on a medium heat for about 12 minutes.
6. When the potatoes are done, drain, add a good knob on butter and mash. Put in a hottish oven to keep warm and/or if you have long enough get a crunchy crust on top.
7. Add the gammon to the cider sauce, lid on simmer for about 5 minutes, turn over, and do the other side for 5 minutes or so.
Should all be done ... serve and scoff.
The veggie option was grilled haloumi with the onion sauce - removed before the meat was added. Also delicious.