Wednesday, 13 April 2016
Lentil spaghetti ... another version
Everything for this recipe can be sourced, if you are local, from Todmorden market - you would have to cross the road to the off licence to pick up a bottle of red - but otherwise all available from the market - the vegetable stall outside, the Crumbly Cheese and The Mediterranean Pantry inside. (But you will probably have some stuff in your cupboards anyway).
Spaghetti (Gluten free here, but does not have to be)
1. Sweat chopped onion, celery and carrot in olive oil.
2. Add a tsp or so of Tuscan seasoning (herbs, garlic and chilli)
3. Stir around, then add chopped mushrooms.
4. Stir around again, then add a handful of red lentils.
5. Chuck in a glass of red wine, and a glass of water - simmer.
6. Whizz the semi-dried and fresh tomatoes with a stick blender (or equivalent)
7. After the lentils have been in for 10 minutes add tomatoes. Add water/stock when the mix starts to look a bit dry ... altogether simmer for about 40 minutes.
8. Taste and stir in mustard and ground black pepper to taste.
9. Cook the spaghetti according to packet instructions - ours was GF - and took 7 minutes boiling (packet said 8 ... so, as usual, checked before to make sure it was al dente).
10. Serve, with or without parmesan shavings. (vegan if you don't!)